THE SHORT AND SWEET GUIDE TO OVERCOMING YOUR FEAR OF FLYING
– Arrive at the airport early. You’ll feel more in control. Which is what the fear of flying is all about : the loss of control.
– Request a window seat over the wings where the plane is most stable in case of turbulence.
– After you’ve checked in, find a quiet spot where you can practise deep breathing. And order a bottle of wine.
– Have the bottle of wine. Yes. All of it.
– During take off repeat Psalm 23 seventeen times. That is how long it will take for the plane to reach altitude. In repeating the words over and over your brain will be sufficiently distracted . It cannot think of 2 things at the same time. Saying Psalm 23 seventeen times is better than thinking “This thing is going to fall out of the sky any second now.” Not?
-Once the seatbelt lights are off, order some more wine. Have it.
-All that wine will make you go to the loo. A lot. Don’t be scared. You walking to the loo will not cause the plane to lean backwards.
– During descent, remember that every passing second is a second closer to mother earth. Where you’ll be safe. Feet on the ground. Firm ground.
– Note how happy you feel. Isn’t flying great?