MY SON SO FAR : THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL
Today is my son’s 4th birthday. Four years ago today he hit my life like a bombshell and four years on I’m still semi-bewildered and mostly just a step behind his ever evolving self.
I want to take stock on this momentous day. Look back on our disasters ( breast feeding! ) and our triumphs ( there’s a poo in the loo…..not behind the only potplant in the town library).
So here is my son so far : the good, the bad, the beautiful .
THE GOOD :
– eats well
– has good teeth and thus no fear of the dentist
– sleeps in own bedroom ( only managed this a few months ago )
– takes a bath regularly ( after a fair amount of begging, bargaining and bullshitting )
– doesn’t pick baby sister up by the neck
– is potty trained ( most of the time)
– can behave in restaurants for short periods of time
– loves to startle us all with sudden eardrum bursting screetches
– answers the phone by picking it up and then saying nothing so that the caller eventually hangs up
– asks for pasta/ cheese on bread / yoghurt with raisins/scrambled egg / whatever and then refuses to eat it
– has whole conversations in Xhosa ( the language of his nanny ) in his sleep….LOUD conversations…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BOY OF MY HEART.