NOTES TO SELF ON YET ANOTHER BIRTHDAY
Happy Birthday and all that.
(” In dog years, you’re dead ” – Anonymous )
Some thoughts on the year ahead :
1. Stop looking over your shoulder expecting to see the “Auntie” that 17-year-old is referring to. YOU ARE IT.
2. Stop yourself from slapping that same 17-year-old about the head for daring to call you “Auntie”. She’s just being polite and should be commended for her good manners.
3. It is no longer OK to feel like a teenager stuck in a ( much ) older body. YOU ARE NOW AN ADULT and should be acting like one . ( most of the time that is. )
4. Walk tall. Walk like a woman on a mission and a woman with vision. Walk like a conqueror of fear and angst and the downdest of downs. Because that is who you have become. Be proud.
5. Look at your children. Really LOOK. Take in their hands and their toes and their eyes and their cheeks.
6. You have reached the age where every compliment ends with “for your age”. Accept it.
7. Write that article for that magazine. There is nothing to lose.
8. Speaking of writing, remember to never ever ever use the word “betwixt” in a sentence.
9. DO find a way to use the word “dactylion” in a sentence. ( for example : I will mentally show you my DACTYLION every time you feel like sticking your nose in where it doesn’t belong. )
10. Forgive more. And smile more. While you still have your own teeth.
“It is sad to grow old, but nice to ripen” – Brigitte Bardot